So Evie came home with a letter yesterday from the school cafeteria saying that she was overdrawn on her account. I had been paying attention to her account and I didn't know how she could be overdrawn. Luckily they track it online so I was able to find out that they charged her for a breakfast this week. Eve doesn't eat breakfast at school. Here's how our conversation went.
me: Eve, did you buy breakfast at school this week?
Eve: Yeah, I do almost every day.
Me: No, you buy lunch almost every day--did you buy breakfast.
Eve: No.
Me: Ok, so you didn't buy breakfast.
Eve: Yes I did. I eat cereal.
Me: You eat cereal at home, did you get cereal at school?
Eve: I don't think so.
Me: When you got to school in the morning, did you ever go with one of your friends to the lunch room for breakfast?
Eve: What do you mean?
Me: Have you ever eaten breakfast at school--toast, cereal, eggs? Anything at school?
Eve: I eat breakfast every morning.
Me: Where?
Eve: At home.
Me: I know you eat breakfast at home every morning-- have you ever eaten breakfast at school.
Eve: No
So at this point I figured she doesn't even know that the school serves breakfast and that I would just write the lunch lady a note and say the wrong account was charged. I hand Eve the note:
Eve: What's this for.
Me: Take it to the lunch lady-- it's saying that you didn't buy breakfast.
Eve: How didn't I?
Me: How didn't you what?
Eve: How didn't I not eat breakfast?
Me: Did you eat breakfast?
Eve: No
Me: Then that's how you didn't.
Eve: oh
Phew!